You may have noticed a new look spreading across desktop Radioplayer – the pop-up player you use at your computer. We’ve spent months designing, building and testing what we call our ‘v3 console’. It takes a surprising amount of technology to make things simple! As a user of 'v3'...
- You’ll see a cleaner, more contemporary look to the player controls, with a new ‘now playing’ display, and a really easy way to save your favourite stations.
- You’ll enjoy our supercharged search engine, with suggested results appearing as you type. One click, and you’re listening to live or catch-up radio.
- Click our new menu button at the top left, and you can find the stations you’ve set as favourites, plus you can browse live and catch-up radio from across the UK.
- And we’ve made a ton of under-the-bonnet improvements, to make the player load faster, sound better, and look slicker in your browser.
And as a station...
- We’ve made sure your stream will play on a device without Flash. If a user visits in Safari on an iPad, they’ll now be able to hear you.
- We’ve incorporated click-to-buy, which you can switch on if you want, and link to the affiliate music store of your choice.
- There are built-in ways of showing promotional or commercial messages in your Radioplayer, as a standalone station or as part of an ad network.
- And you can easily ‘plug in’ high-end digital solutions like video pre-roll, or ad-replacement (eg Triton/Adswizz).
Every one of the 360-odd stations in Radioplayer is switching to the new-look ‘v3 console’. More than half have made the change already – click ‘listen’ at the top of the page and search for Capital, Absolute Radio, Kiss, talkSPORT, Free Radio, or Fun Kids. The BBC are also in the process of switching, and all their stations will be using the new player within weeks.
Many thanks to our partner groups for collaborating on this important project (BBC, Global, Real/Smooth, Absolute, and RadioCentre). And huge thanks to Codegent (who designed the new player), to GMedia (who built it), to Unique Interactive (who look after the systems that power it), to every one of our stations for their support, and to the millions of regular Radioplayer listeners.
Codegent have put together a nice overview of their design work here, and our MD, Michael Hill, spoke about the new tablet and v3 players at the nextrad.io conference recently - video below.